Thursday, March 27, 2014

{pretty, happy, funny, real} Cabin Fever!

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~
Brought to you by Like Mother, Like Daughter

{real}


Cabin fever has spiked. The winter roars outside. The bears have broken in, and they are my children. Wild things, stomping and raging and growling, upending the furniture and scattering the morning’s broken pieces all over the floor. Snow days and sick days have kept us inside for far too long, and the walls are pushing in. These shaggy-haired creatures are chasing me with whining, irrational demands for kids’ shows!  and softer toast!  and smaller pirates! If their evil plan is to turn mama into a grizzly, it’s working.

I want to roar. I want to toss them out into a snowbank. Or perhaps stuff and mount silent over the mantle?



But then, the littlest cub wanders over, blankie and teddy in hand. He is wearing flannel bear jammies.
“I need uppie.”
“I need a bear hug,” I tell him, scooping him up.
“Bear hug?”
“Yes.”




Somehow in the embrace, we feel human again.  Sticky paws turn to patting hands, the gnash of terrible teeth to a smile. This grizzly mama begins to melt. The fever breaks. Maybe, just maybe, I can see the end of winter after all.


round button chicken


~lg

4 comments:

  1. It's been terrible up here too. Not too much snow (one big dump in December) but it's been so very cold and windy. I can nearly count the days Ella's been outside since January. Not good because Ella needs her outdoor time or she starts climbing the walls. Rather cold again today, but I may toss her outside for a while any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! We definitely are in the same boat. I just a blurb where a guy got arrested for melting snow with a flame thrower because he was so done with winter. I totally get it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all real, isn't it? The last photo is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...